WHAT IS DIAPER NEED?
• Diaper need is the lack of a sufficient supply of diapers to keep a baby clean, dry and healthy. • Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, at a cost of $70 to $80 per month per baby. How many families struggle with diaper need? • 1 in 3 American families struggle with diaper need. • 5.3 million infants and toddlers live in poor and low-income families. • Government programs—including food stamps & WIC—do not provide funding for diapers.
What is the impact of diaper need?
• Diaper need impacts the physical, mental and economic well-being of children and families.
• The poorest 20 percent of Americans with infants and toddlers spent nearly 14 percent of their after-tax income on diapers in 2014. •
Most child care centers require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers (four to six changes during the day). Without diapers babies cannot participate in early childhood education. Without child care, many parents cannot go to work or school.
What is a diaper bank?
• Diaper banks and diaper pantries are nonprofit organizations that focus on addressing diaper need by collecting, storing, and distributing free diapers to struggling families.
• Diaper banks and diaper pantries obtain diapers through local diaper drives, in-kind donations, and by purchasing diapers directly with donated funds. How to find diaper assistance in your area?
• To find a diaper bank in your area, and/or information on how to start a diaper bank, log on to www.nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org. • The National Diaper Bank Network (NDNB) is comprised of more than 300 community based diaper banks, diaper pantries, and food banks working to help babies and their families in 45 states, D.C. and Guam.
What is the National Diaper Bank Network?
The National Diaper Bank Network (NDBN) is a nationwide nonprofit founded in 2011. NDBN is dedicated to eliminating diaper need in America and leads a grassroots movement to help meet the basic needs of all babies and their families…including access to clean, dry diapers and other material goods. The Network raises awareness of diaper need (#DiaperNeed) and supports the development and expansion of diaper banks in communities throughout the country. Its active membership includes more than 300 diaper banks, diaper pantries, and food banks located in 45 states, Guam and the District of Columbia. Huggies® Every Little Bottom is the founding sponsor of NDBN. Huggies donates more than 20 million diapers to NDBN each year to help families in need. More information on NDBN and diaper need is available at www.nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org, and on Facebook (facebook.com/NationalDiaperBankNetwork) and Twitter (@DiaperNetwork). Spokesperson • Joanne Samuel Goldblum, M.S.W., Executive Director, National Diaper.